Warning: not for the elderly, pregnant, or lighthearted.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
But these ooey gooey s’mores cupcakes are a dish best served hot.
My piping tips finally came in the mail and I’ve been so excited to use them. In other words, my family has been eating cupcake after cupcake trying to keep up with me! I’ll be taking a break after these, though, they’re a TOTAL sugar bomb and I don’t think I can stand any more sweets for a while. Back to the healthy eating for now.
I found this recipe off of Pinterest, but it wasn’t actually super clear, so I modified a few things to my best understanding. The cupcake is made of a graham cracker base with a chocolate cake and marshmallow buttercream. The cake itself isn’t super sweet, but it works amazingly with the frosting and crust.
Note: I did add shortening but I added it at the wrong time, therefore resulting in a more buttery tasting buttercream. I omitted the salt as well, since I was using salted butter. I also intended only to make 12 cupcakes instead of 24. This amount of batter was enough, but there was extra frosting, so I would suggest cutting the frosting in half.
1 cup and 2 tbsp graham cracker crumbs
2 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted melted butter
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used regular, it doesn’t really matter)
1 cup and 1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup and 2 tbsp flour
7 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, room temp
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening (optional)
7 oz marshmallow cream (standard jar)
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk
Graham cracker crumbs
Hershey’s chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cupcake pan with standard liners.
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter, then press 1 tbsp into the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Bake for around 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix together the egg, milk, vanilla and oil. Add liquids to flour mixture and beat for around 30 seconds. Scrape sides and beat for another 1-2 minutes. Add boiling water, beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Place a few chocolate chips on top of graham cracker crust.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry when inserted.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Beat butter for frosting until fluffy.
- Add marshmallow cream, beat until mixed.
- Add vanilla, beat again, then add milk for consistency.
- Frost cupcakes, sprinkle with graham crackers and stick a bar of chocolate in the top.
Note: I went a suggested step further and filled the cupcakes with the frosting as well, although it’s not showing in the picture.
These are my new favorite summertime cupcakes! They totally taste like camping. Let me know if you make them, and how they turn out for you!